1/4 tspn Kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
5 tbsp butter
1/2 tspn vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups winter flour (or all-purpose flour)
1 1/4 cups finely chopped pecan pieces or ground sunflower seeds
- Using a mixer cream together the sugar, salt, shortening, butter, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Form dough into a 1 and 1/2 inch diameter log. Wrap the log in wax paper and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the log into 1/4 inch disks.
- Place the disks on a lightly greased baking sheet and place on the upper rack of the oven. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes until the just start to brown on the edges.
- Let the cookies cool completely and then roll the cookies in a small bowl of confectioner's sugar.
- Store the Mexican Wedding Cookies in an airtight container.